Friday, September 29, 2006

Monday Encourager - 9/22/2006

Hello teachers,

I trust you have had a good week of ministry since the last time I sent the Encourager. Now that we are several weeks into our Fall schedule I hope you are establishing some sort of normalcy in your classroom/group. I know that my S.S. class has been growing and I have heard some good reports from some of our groups that have started with greater participation and new energy.

In my past churches I have been forced to wrestle with the question of “How important is it to bring our Bibles?” We placed Bibles in the hymnbook rack or projected the scripture reading or included it in our study guides so people felt like they did not need to bring their Bibles from home. I know I have this discussion with my kids on a regular basis. I try to tell them that going to church without their Bibles is like going to school without their textbooks. And they reply “some of our teachers keep the textbooks in their class so we can’t take them home.” This reminds me of the days in church History when the Bible was chained to the Altar and people were not allowed to have personal copies.

I wonder if we have developed a disregard for the Bible or if distribution of the printed Word has been so saturated that we have several copies? I know I have a copy in by briefcase, one on my desk, several in my office, several in my home, one in each of our automobiles, etc.

I received the following from my accountability partner a few weeks ago and thought I’d share it with you.



I wonder what would happen if we treated our Bible like we treat our cell phones?

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?

What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?

What if we flipped through it several times a day?

What if we used it to receive messages from the text?

What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?

What if we gave it to kids as gifts?

What if we used it as we traveled?

What if we used it as a standard part of our lives AND for emergencies?

What if we upgraded it to get the latest version?

Now my friend... where is that Bible of yours?




Oh, and one more thing. Unlike our cell phone, we really don't have to worry about our Bible being disconnected because Christ already paid the bill...



Is the Word of God as important to you as your cell phone? I hope more so!



The psalmist wrote in Psalm 119:



15 "I meditate on Your precepts and consider Your ways. 16 I delight in Your decrees; I will not neglect Your Word. 20 My soul is consumed with longing for Your laws at all times. 24 Your statues are my delight; they are my counselors. 30 I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on Your laws. 35 Direct me in the path of Your commands, for there I find delight. 47 I delight in Your commands because I love them. 58 I have sought Your face with all my heart. 81 My soul faints with longing for Your salvation, but I have put my hope in Your Word. 92 If Your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget Your precepts, for by them You have preserved my life. 97 O, how I love Your law! I meditate on it all day long. 103 How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 129 Your statues are wonderful; therefore I obey them. 174 I long for Your salvation, O Lord, for Your law is my delight."

No comments:

Post a Comment