Monday, April 16, 2007

A Scout is trustworthy....

 I have been reading lately about the issue of TRUST in church leadership. Over 25 years ago I was in the Boy Scouts and one of our requirements was to memorize the 12 points of the Scout Law and be able to explain each one. The list started with "A Scout is trustworthy." I assumed it went without saying that a church leader is trustworthy (1 Tim 3:2 & Titus 1:6), but I am learning that trust is not a safe assumption. These are the examples have been rolling around in my mind of how prevalent broken promises have become in our society.

  • Much of the growth in the modern "house church" movement can be traced to broken trust between church members and church leaders.
  • A megachurch pastor whom I have known over 25 years (before he was a local church pastor) has been on the front page of the Kansas City Star because his financial integrity has come under fire.
  • I read today that only 67% of church staff trust their Senior leadership (see reference at the end of this post).
  • on Easter Sunday Pastor Sean's sermon introduction reminded us of many broken promises
  • Easter afternoon I took my family to see Disney's new movie "Meet the Robinsons." I asked the kids what difference they saw from the movie and that morning's sermon. They each noticed that the character in the movie made promises that he did not intend to keep.

Do the people who attend your small group or class know that they can trust you? What have you done to earn that trust?

Link to MondayMorningInsight.com > Do You Trust The People You Work With at Church?

No comments:

Post a Comment