Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

I recently read a book that asks “Do you preach because you love Jesus or do you preach because you love preaching?” OUCH!!
I must honestly admit that over the years my purpose has shifted back and forth between a love for our Savior and a love for what He has called me to do. Any time you deal with people there will be encouragements and discouragements, times when you will love what you do and times when you question if you should keep doing it.
We are approaching the end of the Christian Education year and you are most likely fatigued and asking yourself if you should continue. I have a few suggestions.
1. Ask yourself “What has God done in my life through my role this past year?”
2. Ask yourself “Has God ever failed me in my role this year?”
3. Thank God for the opportunities He has given you to rely on Him for strength, ideas, wisdom, patience, etc.
I think Sean’s illustration yesterday of losing focus and ending up in the river (if you didn’t hear the story, check out the audio file on the church website) is applicable to all of us. As the educational year closes, now is an opportunity to regain perspective and focus. I love the song “Turn Your Eyes upon Jesus.” If you are unaware of the song, the chorus says “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.”
I have spent the last couple of days focusing upon God for who He is (not just what He does) and have been refreshed and energized in some amazing ways. I wish for you the same.