Friday, July 06, 2007

Puddle, Swamp or Well?

I received the following in an email this week.

When you’re thinking about developing a new product or ministry, it’s essential that you find out two things: 1) How widespread is the public’s interest in it? 2) How deep is that interest? If interest is not widespread and not very deep, you’re looking at a puddle. Never invest time or money in a puddle. If interest is widespread but not very deep, you’re looking at a swamp. Be careful of swamps. They look like oceans at first because everyone is interested. Many have gone broke when what looked like a swamp turned out to be an ocean. If interest is wide and deep, you’re looking at an ocean. But you’re going to need a platform on which to navigate your ocean. If you don’t have a platform, you’ll drown. And you’re going to need a plan or you’ll drift. If public interest is narrow but deep, you’ve got a well. Don’t underestimate it. You can draw a lot of water from a well.
Monday Morning Memo 7/9/07


As I reflect there have been many times that I got muddled in a "swamp." I listened to a few voices that clamored for a particular program, then after I launched it I found that they weren't very committed to making it happen, so it got bogged down and failed.
It is like when I go to the Dentist and am reminded to floss. Generally, it sounds like a good idea and I don't have any strong objections to it, but I am not committed to it enough to make it happen on a regular basis.
Ministry leaders can find themselves stuck in the swamp if we try to carry out good ideas that are not backed by depth of commitment.