Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I’m Third

I was recently introduced as 'Pastor #2" by someone in our congregation. At first I was honored because I believe I have been gifted by God to lead from the second chair. But a split-second later I questioned in my own mind "Why am I #2 and not #3?" I believe the person who made the introduction was speaking Chronologically, rather than a ranking of priority or power.

We work hard as a staff team to shatter the image of a "corporate ladder" or a "ministry hierarchy." Few things get my dander up quicker than asking an associate pastor when he will become a Senior Pastor or when he will "get a church of his own." I have served in associate, solo and senior roles and each of them was the highest place for me to be at that time because that was exactly where God wanted me to be.

The link below connects to a well-written article that has the premise that we should not strive for first place or even second place, but THIRD place.

As you teach or lead others, I hope you always recognize God to be first priority in your group, but as a leader you should also avoid 2nd place.

The Pastor's Soul, Role, and Home.: I’m Third

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    I enjoy SLEFC because of the servant leadership. Thank you Pastor Dave.

    ReplyDelete