Monday, March 17, 2008

What Motivates You?

Want to, get to, have to, called to, must – Which of these attitudes would best describe your last meeting with your students? I will admit that I have encountered each of these at least once in my ministry.
Since today is Saint Patrick’s Day I did a quick internet search and read some of the Wikipedia entry on St. Pat. I was unaware that he so hated Ireland that he left it the first time he was there. He was captured as a slave and taken to Ireland where he served as a herdsman for 6 years before running away from his master and boarding a ship for home. Shortly after returning home he had a vision of a man calling him to return to Ireland as a missionary. This time he went willingly and his impact was quite different. He was accused by others bishops of impropriety, but he remains a hero to the Irish Catholics to this day.
As I reflect upon those I have recruited or hired to work alongside me in my 20 years of ministry. Those who were most effective were not the most talented, but rather, those who sensed a God-given call to be involved in that ministry. Some of you may have received that divine call before starting your current ministry. For others, that calling became clear after humbly surrendering to serve. Still others may be serving out of a love for the type of interaction you receive with your students.
My prayer is that when somebody asks you “Why do you pour so much time into that class or group?” You will honestly be able to say “I know God has called me to do it and I love being in the center of His will.”

Calling brings longevity – John 10:13