Monday, October 27, 2008

How You Say What You Say

Last week I wrote about the sense of URGENCY that is often lacking in our groups, which allows us to slip into mediocrity. On the other hand, an over-stated sense of urgency can undermine our intended results. In our services yesterday, our worshipper were asked to consider if the world hates Christians because of what we believe or because of how we communicate it. This morning I received an email link to a video of a preacher who has s real sense of urgency for a particular issue. His urgency for a Biblically justified position prompts him to speak in harsh and judgmental tone toward any who disagree with his conclusions. One sad side effect is that some who may agree with his conclusion are so offended by his delivery that they never hear the whole message. I was taken in my mind to Queen Esther in the Bible. She definitely had a sense of urgency as she had come to conclude that all of her life events had prepared her for "such a time as this." But even with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, she took the time to consider HOW to best communicate her message to the king. As leadership is a function of INFLUENCE. I challenge you to maximize your influence by seeking wisdom in how you communicate with others. I know I have often missed the mark in this area. I have often been driven by right motives, but poor methods have hindered my ability to accomplish God's purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:15 PM

    I think as Christians not only our language but also our actions have to be consistent. Maybe our actions don't always mirror our words...
    I'm not commenting on anyone personally or even our Church but the overall "Christian landscape"
    Is Christ the center of our thoughts?
    Do we act and talk like He is? Or is there little difference from non believers? Maybe there is a reason we are seen as hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:15 PM

    I am quite certain I am not alone in reflecting upon my life - and how I am viewed by others, believers and non-believers alike, - as a result of Pastor Sean's last sermons that have been couched in the framework of what a Christian is supposed to do in these challenging political times.

    It is a good thing to measure ourselves often against the written word - and to bring ourselves daily before the Living Word, being attentitive to His voice of correction.

    I think it very important not to take a swing of the pendulum in the other direction and start to think that we should just stop speaking for fear of being seen as a hypocrite. God's standard for us is perfection, nothing less, and on that note - this side of heaven we will ALWAYS fall short and be viewed to some degree as a hypocrite (having a standard that we ourselves don't even measure up to).

    I have good christian friends who told me once that they would not put a christian sticker on their bumper of their car for fear that someone would see them acting in a way in traffic that was less than christian.

    I didn't agree with this way of thinking, and in fact, I'm quite sure it provided more opportunity for them to anonymously act in less than christian ways often.

    I have another good friend who does have christian bumper stickers and she has stated time and again to me how they have helped her maintain her christian witness - even in heated traffic situations - when God brings back to her rememberance that those stickers are there.

    The word of God exorts us to SPEAK the truth.....and to speak it IN LOVE.

    I think we would all go a very long way in our christian growth and witness if we made it a daily prayer to ask God to help us to do both.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete