Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Maps vs. GPS

Since I am obsessed with details and plans over the years I have accumulated quite a collection of maps. Then about 8 years ago I was introduced to a computer program called MapPoint which allowed me to reduce my box of maps to one computer disk. Last Spring I bought my wife a GPS unit. So instead of wading through a vast pile of maps, This new tool gives me the information I need (usually) in a very user friendly manner. The device basically only needs 3 pieces of information 1) where am I, 2) where do I want to do, and 3) How do I want to get there (shortest or fastest).

As a teacher I have often been guilty of “displaying my atlas” to the students when they simply wanted to know which turns to take.

A few years ago I learned a new technique that has increased my effectiveness as a teacher. It is amazingly simple—ask the student what he wants to learn.

I am currently taking an online class for professional development and the pre-class work involved answering the question “Why are you taking this class?” In our Membership classes we always start with “tell us a little something about your faith background” and “Why are you taking this class at this time in your life?” That foundation shapes how I present the material throughout the course.

So, what about the group/class you are leading. Do you know where your students are spiritually, emotionally, academically? Do you know what your students/participants expect out of your time together? Do you know how they want to get there? (Check back next week when I will address this third piece of the puzzle).

If you don’t even know what your target is, you’ll never know if you hit it.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:03 AM

    I love GPS, mapping software and Google Earth, too. Its amazing how much information is instantly available to us today. The problem is over-reliance on technology. What happens when the batteries go dead, the broadband connection goes down, or there's no clear line-of-sight to the satellites? Its then that a paper map and compass become indispensible.

    Even though I am a great proponent of the Internet and all that goes with it, I regret humans losing the ability to function unplugged.

    (Sorry - slightly off-topic, since your real point was determining what a teacher should really be teaching.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:42 AM

    There is a lot to be said about the openness and receptivity on the part of a person who is being taught what they are interested in (or see a need for) learning.
    But, when teaching spiritual truth, I think it is best to keep that in balance.
    Sheep are notorious for desiring to go places that may not be the best places for green grass or clean water.
    As teachers/leaders/shepherds of our small group - it is imperative that we also remain "plugged in" to the Holy Spirit, attentive to His voice, as He just might have a completely different itinerary and route for us to follow altogether.
    I think it needs to be a balance of both ~Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:02 PM

    After teaching a Bible Study for about ten years, I tend to want to grow the class into deeper spiritual realms (probably more for my benefit than my average student). We need to pay more attention to what our students are saying (spiritually), then focus our Bible Studies based on where our average student's spiritual level is.

    How does our studies benefit our students if many of them shrug their shoulders and proclaim, "This stuff is way over my head." Then drop out because the feeling is some don't measure up to the rest of the class.

    Greenbay's one time head coach Vince Lombardi once proclaimed, "We can't win any ball games if we don't understand the basics.

    I have to realize as a Bible Study leader, it might be time to go back and revisit the basics in order to grow all of my students at the same level.

    ReplyDelete