Monday, November 09, 2009

You only have a limited window!

I am preparing for a talk I will be giving in a little over a week on the life of the apostle Peter. Even though I have preached biographical sermons on him before, a new insight caught my attention this weekend--his most efficient ministry happened during a relatively short window of time.

Most leaders and Bible teachers are aware that his effectiveness did not take off until after the resurrection. The 3 denials at the crucifixion and the later restoration when he was asked 3 times by the risen Lord, "Do you love me?" had to refine his character before the promise made by Jesus in Matthew 16:19 could be fulfilled. You probably remember the bold sermon in Acts 2 where 3000 got saved. You may even remember Peter's interaction with Simon the tanner and Cornelius. You may remember the prominent role that Peter played in the Jerusalem council in Acts 15. But did you realize that Acts 15 was actually the beginning of Peters DECREASE in effectiveness? By Acts 12:3 Herod Agrippa had targeted Peter for persecution as an attempt to quiet the people. Peter is released from prison but the persecution is still fierce and Peter is forces to leave (Acts 12:17). So Acts 2-12 was Peters window of greatest influence.

I think many of us do not like to admit our mortality. We somehow believe that God is going to going to continue to give us opportunity and grow our influence until a ripe, old age. But the events of Fort Hood last week remind us that NOBODY is guaranteed of tomorrow. Neither you, nor the people you are seeking to influence! You may not lose your life tomorrow, but circumstances may change so that you lose your opportunity to influence change.

Some have observed that much preaching today lacks the passion of previous generations. Could it be because we have lost the sense of urgency? I know that some urgency has created panic and false alarms.

I would just like to encourage each of us to "number our days" (Psalm 90:12)

Pastor Dave.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Jesus Himself said that He will come back like a thief in the night - unexpected.
    May we - His church - be found with our lamps burning (Matthew 25:1-13)with the love and joy of the Holy Spirit and may we be found faithfully serving our Master - to Whom we will give an account (Matthew 25:14-30.
    Jesus asked whether or not He would find faith on the earth when He returned....we, His people, need to ask ourselves daily - will He find faithfulness in my life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen much more passion of late at our Church. Because I am a music minister I don’t get to other Churches much, but I know what I see in the eyes of my Sheppard and I know how her cares for his flock. This last July and August he preached on Revelation. Now we both know those who read Revelations will be blessed, so I can only imagine what happens when it’s preached from. I have a sense of urgency because my pastor does. We both believe Christ is coming soon. When? I don’t know. All I know is all signs point to soon. Every verse I’ve meditated on or book I have red on the subject tells me I will see it in my lifetime. In a few short weeks I will turn 50. We all must keep the level of oil in our lamps high and be vigilant. Any preacher worth his salt must be preaching his heart out, for we are made for such a time as this. If he comes, I am ready, if not in my lifetime, I was ready. For any pastor to pass up the message to John in the book of Revelation is to be negligent and delinquent in God’s Church.

    My pastor has often compared me to Peter, for I am zealous to a fault. I am the one to stand when there is a call to missions or to prayer or to help others. He chides me often saying I need to let others step up sometimes, but I tell him I am not stopping anyone, I am just standing up for needs of the bride of Christ. I also tell him I appreciate his reasons for asking me not to be so zealous, but I always remind him, “Pastor, it is easier to suppress a zealot than raise a corps.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Question:
    What would you do if you knew you only had 30 days left to live?

    Second question:
    Why aren't you living that way now?

    What is standing in the way? Is it fear, laziness, selfishness, lack of confidence? What is standing in the way of you doing the things or being the person that you know God wants you to do and to be?

    Why not ask the Holy Spirit - Who is FULL of power - to help you to overcome (and to continue to help you overcome these each and every day) those things, today.

    James reminds us "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

    He also reminds us that "anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins"

    Don't live life with "someday"......live today. Don't put the will of God off to do it "someday".....do it today.

    Don't live with the burden of regret and guilt - which often the weight of both is so crushing we cannot move forward for God.

    Peter tells us what we need to do with our regret and sense of guilt when he said "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord" Acts 3:19

    What would you do if you knew you only had 30 days left to live......and what gives you certainty that you have more?

    Your life is but a vapor.....live it to the glory of the One Who gave it to you.

    ReplyDelete