Monday, January 04, 2010

Guard Your Heart

I have long heard the suggestion that a good way to build a habit of daily Bible reading is to read one chapter of Proverbs according to the day of the month. That would mean that today (January 4, 2010) people are reading Proverbs chapter 4.

One blogger who is taking the “31 Day Challenge” makes the following comment on Proverbs 4:23

I believe it was Socrates who said, “The unexamined life is not worth living.” So maybe the most important thing we could do at the beginning of this new decade is to examine the “wellspring” of life.

Is the seductive, deceptive lure of some sin such as anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, and sexual immorality, creeping into your heart?

Is there anyone you’ve been withholding forgiveness from?

Do you secretly celebrate the failures of people around you?

Have any secrets that you’re working hard to keep from some of your closest friends?

I’m praying God will teach you and me both to guard our hearts because the desire of Jesus is to transform our hearts, not just edit our behavior.

(To see this quote in its original context click the link at the end of this post)

I received a tweet from twitter that said “That one step of footprints is where Jesus carried me and my 60-inch plasma TV.” OUCH! I wonder what other idols we are holding onto? How often do we take refuge in the arms of Jesus, while keeping a tight grasp on things that allure our hearts away from Him.

Guarding our hearts is a matter of what psychologists call self-speak. What are the messages that role around in your head? If you focus on positive things you will absorb a positive perspective. If you listen to negativity, you will reflect that view.

A couple of years ago I asked a person I respect if he thought “dark” music contributed to clinical depression in teens. He answered, “no, dark music just reflects the moods of those who are already depressed.” I respectfully disagree with my friend. I think that media choices are not just a symptom, but also a contributing factor to moods. They contribute to the spiral that feeds itself.

If the music I listen to, books I read, movies I watch, people I associate with are reinforcing certain thoughts, then those thoughts become my new norm. Whether positive or negative.

Philippians 4:8-specifically tells us to make a choice to “think on” thoughts that edify.

Colossians 3:2 instructs us to “set our minds” in a particular direction

1 Peter 1:13 guides us to “prepare our minds” for action

2 Corinthians 10:5 challenges us to “take every thought captive”

and Col 2:8 warns that others’ ideas can captivate our attention and affections.

Nearly 30 years ago I took my first computer programming class. In that class we were introduced to the acronym GIGO – Garbage in, Garbage out. GIGO was the concept that bad data or bad programming going into the computer would force the computer to yield bad output. I understand that humans are not mere cognitive machines because we have a will that can override raw data. But the more data that is in our thoughts will influence the impulses that we experience.

So, on this 4th day of the month, I encourage you to heed the words of Proverbs 4:23 – Guard your heart!

 

Guard Your Heart | WithoutWax.tv by Pete Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment