Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Task vs. Integration

There are some things that I do because they are a task on my "Things to do" list (prepare to teach a class). There are other things that I do because they are a routine and I don't have to be reminded (brush my teeth). The first I call a "task" the second is a routine that has been integrated into my lifestyle.

I am often reminded by members of my family that I need to update my Facebook status (task); last night lightening struck close to our home and shook the house causing all three of my teens to grab their phones and text their friends to share the experience (routine).

When it comes to Spiritual Formation activities, many people view them as "tasks" to be checked off rather than routines to be integrated. For example - when stress comes into your life do you have wait for your "quiet time" to pray about it (task) or do you spontaneously give it over to the Lord (routine)? What about you and the other spiritual disciplines? Is Bible reading a task to be checked off or has listening to God been integrated into your flow of life? Is silence a regular part of your day or do you have to carve out time to be still and hear from God? What about service, scripture memory, repentance, etc.

A couple years ago my kids did not own cell phones, so the reaction of "I've got to text my friends about this" was not part of their routine. Last night it was automatic.

This morning the internet was not working in our offices and all the staff was uneasy because we realized how much online information has been integrated into our lives. None of us used email or google when we started ministry (except our Youth Pastor, because he is young) but it is now so integrated into our lives that it seems awkward when it is not there.

I have found that biblical community works that way in my life. Getting together with my small group used to be a task, but now if it doesn't happen then the rest of my week seems awkward. I first experienced this with regard to worship services. I had so integrated Sunday evening services into the flow of my life that when I served at a church that discontinued them, I felt guilty to be at home on Sunday evenings. Two days ago was Easter and I'm sure there are many people who were there because going to church on Easter was viewed as a task to be checked off before going to grandma's for brunch. For me, worshiping in community is the normal flow of the week. Thankfully, it has been integrated into the fabric of my life where it does not seem to be a chore or a dutiful obligation.

If we are to be the leaders that God wants us to be, what are the activities that we should integrate so deeply into the fabric of our lives that they no longer become a task (as when the Dr says "take a deep breath") but become as natural as breathing (routine).

I think this is a difference between "discipleship" and "spiritual formation." Many view "being discipled" as a task, program or method; But "spiritual formation" is about becoming what God wants us to become in a holistic way. I.e. faith is not something I merely value or practice, it is a defining characteristic of who I am.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:05 AM

    I think who we really are, or "integration" is revealed by our fruit or "tasks." Perfect? Definitely not, but our desires should eventually become more like His desires. Tasks and integration will usually be more consistent than not, at least when "no one is looking."

    ReplyDelete