Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Bible Studies vs. Small Groups

I find myself frequently correcting people when they refer to small groups as "Home Bible Studies". Why? What is the difference?

I also use the term "Spiritual Formation" where many people traditionally refer to "discipleship." I believe "Spiritual Formation" is more attentive of the need to transform the whole person (mind, will, emotion, and behavior) where too many people consider themselves to have been "discipled" and all they mean is "I went through a study book with a person one-on-one."

First, let me say that there IS a place for group study! That is why we hold classes and seminars for Adults that we call CSI:Elkhorn (Character, Skills & Instruction).

The difference between a "class/study" and a "group" is a matter of emphasis. In a "class/Bible Study" the focus is on the CONTENT with a side element of COMMUNITY. In a "group" the focus is on the COMMUNITY with a side element of CONTENT.

My friend TJ does a great job of describing the transformation that happens in true community in this post on his blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment