Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Worshipping God or Worshipping an Idol?

 I just read that two worship leaders have made it through the first round of auditions and are going to Hollywood in the current season of American Idol. I don't know these men personally so I can't comment on their motives, but the idea of a WORSHIP leader pursuing the option of becoming an IDOL just seems wrong. I am deeply convinced that worship is more than music - it is a matter of mind, body and spirit submitting to the glory of God alone.

Is it possible for someone whose life calling is to lead people into worshipping God to pursue personal fame and fortune?

We've come a long way from the mindset that was prevalent in generations past of "it's good enough for Christian Music." Many of today's Christian artists are truly masters of their craft which is a good thing. But being a great musician does not qualify a person to lead WORSHIP.

I readily admit that God blesses some individuals with wealth and public prestige that can be used for good (i.e. the SuperBowl XLI coaches). But if I am going to submit myself to another persons leadership in the area of worship, I am looking for a person whose life passion is the glory of God, not personal fame.

What do you think? Am I being too critical?

Link to MondayMorningInsight.com > Two Worship Leaders “Are Goin’ to Hollywood, Baby” on American Idol

No comments:

Post a Comment