Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Open Church in a Closed Community…

I just read of a large church that is opening an additional venue. The problem (in some readers’ minds) is that this venue is in a gated community. The building they will be using for worship is owned by the developer and one of the policies is that the building is only to be used by residents of the development and their guests. Some are upset that people who don’t live in that community won’t be able to drop in and visit the church.

Time for a reality check!! I think that those who are upset with this location are of the impression that mass marketing, creative signs and impressive media is what draws guests into America’s churches. All of the content that I am reading says that “programs don’t build churches, people build churches”. If the people of this new church are inviting their friends, neighbors and co-workers then the problem is solved—each person who attends this facility is a guest of a resident. I think the days when a person would see a steeple on a building and decide to drop in for services have long disappeared.

(Yes, I know that disconnected visitors may visit a worship service. But they would be a very small minority of those who do so!) The proportion would be even smaller of those who would come to your class or Small group because of some marketing or the fact that you are using a popular curriculum. MOST people who visit (and become a part of) the group you are leading will do so ONLY IF the current participants have been kind to them, invited them and welcomed them into your learning community.

This week I noticed ads in the newspaper paid for by churches who normally don’t do newspaper advertising. I am of the conclusion that ads will remind people who are already convinced, but they won’t persuade many (any?) to engage in becoming a Christ follower.

What are you doing to empower your current participants to be your sales, marketing and recruiting team for new group participants?

MondayMorningInsight.com > Saddleback to Open a Private Church Campus on Easter…

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 PM

    You are right-on when you say "people not programs build churches". People must relate in some way around some things or a long-term relationship doesn't sustain itself. In my case I seek out people who are close to my age and are most like me: been in their own business, enjoy college sports, bike ride, kayak, fish and look for ways to help others by putting their years of experience to good works. I shy away from anyone or any organization that doesn't meet those needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 PM

    I hear what you are saying in regard to members of this gated community inviting others from the gated community to church services with them. That this would solve the problem of not having "outsiders" being able to attend. Unfortunately I think it would also create a problem in that the people who would make up that particular worshiping community would all pretty much be alike. The beauty of a healthy church is that many different people are coming together under the banner of Christ from different ethnic backgrounds, family backgrounds, socio economic backgrounds etc.
    Unity among diversity is what makes the church beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    What am I doing to empower group participants to be "recruiting" others?

    Reminding them of the Great Comission Matthew 28:18-20

    Reminding them of the ministry God has given each one of us
    2 Corinthians 5:11-6:2

    Reminding them of the purpose for which God has called all believers
    Matthew 5:13-16

    And I strive to be about my Father's business in my own life in these areas as well so that my words to others are not empty

    ReplyDelete