Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Consider the Symptoms

 About a year ago I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. That diagnoses came totally out of the blue for me. I had just completed my first physical in over 10 years and I had no idea how sick I was. After the diagnosis I read about anything I could find on the disease and found lists of symptoms. I had experienced over 75% of the symptoms, but each one by itself seemed inconsequential.

The quote below warns that there is another condition that many Christian leaders are facing and they may not even be aware. The source at the bottom of this post will take you to a list of symptoms.

Burnout can occur in the physical, emotional, and spiritual areas of life. Sometimes it affects only one or two of these areas, but it often takes its toll in all three, as it did with Elijah. He was physically exhausted from running before King Ahab’s chariot some 25 miles from Mount Carmel to the entrance of Jezreel (I Kings 18:46). He was emotionally drained as evidenced by his wish to die: “It is enough; now, O Lord, take away my life” (I Kings 19:4). He was spiritually distraught, which was shown by his words, “I, even I only, am left” (I Kings 19:10).

Many things cause burnout. While it is impossible to mention them all, here are the primary causes

Source: Dealing with Personal Burnout in Ministry

No comments:

Post a Comment