Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good Questions Show Good Listening

I admit I am inadequate at asking good questions. This is a skill I need to improve. If the list below intrigues you, check out the source for more information about asking good questions.

According to Robert L. Montgomery, author of Listening Made Easy, the ten most common characteristics of a good listener are:

  1. Looks at me while I'm speaking.
  2. Questions me to clarify what I'm saying.
  3. Shows concern by asking questions about my feelings.
  4. Repeats some things I say.
  5. Doesn't rush me.
  6. Is poised and emotionally controlled.
  7. Responds with a nod of the head, a smile, or a frown.
  8. Pays close attention.
  9. Doesn't interrupt me.
  10. Keeps on the subject until I've finished my thoughts.

Source: Good Questions Show Good Listening | Building Small Groups

No comments:

Post a Comment