Monday, April 07, 2008

The Ministry Treadmill

I believe this is a common problem for church volunteers and leaders. Does this sound familiar? "I make it a priority to prepare the lesson that I am going to share but I never have quite enough time to do as good of a job as I would like so don't even suggest that I need to spend time contemplating the future."

The quote below probably resonates with your experience.

Have you ever been on the ministry treadmill? Are you so busy with the work of today that you never have the time to plan or dream for the ministry of tomorrow? Determining your vision and future plans takes time. Many pastors and leaders find themselves too busy with the pressing demands of today to take the time to plan for tomorrow. The result is that when tomorrow gets here, you’re still busy doing the day-to-day menial tasks of ministry, and all of a sudden you find that you no longer have a plan or strategy.

I have learned when working on a project I often need to take a few steps back and view my work from a larger perspective.

I don't want reflection and examination to be an additional burden upon you as a leader, but the time spent in contemplation may make you more effective in the tasks at hand.

MondayMorningInsight.com > Thinkholes: The Ministry Treadmill

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:28 AM

    At the present time I feel I'm leading a 'one man' ministry.I have too much time to think about long range purpose. I have too many ideas for the purpose of this group. I am praying for someone to come along side of me and contribute to the future focus. How can I take steps to define 'who we are' and where we should go in the future?
    We meet once a month; some have asked to meet twice a month. I ask why and get no answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:23 PM

    Just like in many areas in life, we need to set limits. I fully believe by over loading ourselves, taking on more projects than we can handle, leads to failure in everything. To do a Bible study well, we need to spend allot of time researching all the details; giving maximum preparation time which includes walking away from the study materials, even temporarily, and returning with new perspectives. Cancellation is a key word for poor preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete