Monday, April 21, 2008

Selling Ancient Disciplines to Moderns

I have a friend in ministry who challenges leaders to "Make the Big Ask". His understanding is that people are willing to sacrifice if given a compelling vision.

I have heard consultant warn that we often overestimate what we can accomplish in the short-term and underestimate what we can accomplish in the long-term.

In an era where spiritual disciplines like fasting, solitude, scripture memory and Bible Study (not to be confused with a group of people talking about life issues) are rare. We must be wise in the ways we call people to these ancient practices.

The quote below comes from a posting with some specific suggestions on motivating others to practice spiritual behaviors. If the thought below stir your heart, you can read more at the link on the bottom of the page.

Avoid the Dual Dangers
Two dangers confront us in encouraging spiritual disciplines. One is giving people the impression that it's all up to them—they were saved by grace, but now they had better roll up their sleeves and get to work. One woman in our congregation, for example, returned from a teaching seminar and made six life-changing commitments, including one to meditate daily. I rejoiced in her enthusiasm but cautioned her to be easy on herself. Her five children weren't knocking at her knees when she made her commitments. The challenge of stepping into spiritual disciplines must be tempered with realism.

On the other side are those who believe God does everything. They're content to relax, not wishing to disturb grace by their works. Having walked with the Lord for 20 years, they're still giving the Lord only 5 quick minutes before falling off to sleep at night. Such people may need a kick in the pants rather than a pat on the back.

For example, I recently called George, a member of our congregation, to tell him I expected him at the men's prayer group at 6 the following morning. He wasn't home, so I left the message with his wife. I told her that if he wasn't at the breakfast, I would come over and throw him out of bed.

My wife, who heard me, wondered why I'd spoken so insensitively. The reason could be seen the next morning. When George's alarm went off, he struggled to decide whether to get up. However, when his wife remembered my call and passed on the message, he decided to come. During the prayer meeting, George thanked the Lord for the "encouragement" he'd received from a brother "who cared whether I came." As I explained to my wife, some people need toughness and can handle it. George is a coach who knows both how to give and how to receive a challenge.

Growing as a pastoral leader involves discerning whether a person needs a kick or a pat. I've had church members who responded best to a challenge that demanded everything of them. Those who don't have that kind of motivation may need encouragement bit by bit. Paul struck the balance when he urged believers, "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling," adding that "God is at work within you both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

Selling Ancient Disciplines to Moderns | Building Small Groups

No comments:

Post a Comment