Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Teaching that Transforms

I recently ran across an interesting article that is several years old, but is relevant to any individual involved in Christian Education or Spiritual formation. I only included Dr. Hendrick's main points. If you want to read his explanations you'll have to click on the link at the bottom of this post.

Teaching that Transforms
What makes Christian education distinct from its secular counterpart.
by Howard Hendricks

This article was originally written for all Christian educators, both inside the church and out. It has been adapted to focus on small-group teachers and facilitators.

As a Christian educator, my goal is not to lecture, or even to lecture with excellence. My goal is to teach in such a way that students both learn and employ their knowledge. Teachers should view themselves as nothing less than disciplers. The knowledge we communicate affects more than the minds of our hearers; it should change lives.

In particular, I want to see the members of my group develop five qualities as a result of my teaching.

  • Deepening Commitment to Christ
  • Growing in Character
  • Showing Competence to Live Out the Faith
  • Creative in Ministry
  • Effective Communicators

Teaching that Transforms | Building Small Groups

No comments:

Post a Comment