Monday, September 21, 2009

From the Heart

I don't watch the MTV Video Music Awards (Sept 13, 2009) and I can't name a single song performed by either Taylor Swift or Kanye West, but in the last week the popular media has made quite a big deal about the rudeness demonstrated by Mr. West when he went on stage uninvited and took the microphone in the middle of Miss Swift's acceptance speech for some award and launched into a personal tirade. Ironically, he did a similar thing in November 2006 when his own video did not win first place in a European award show. Over the last week he has expressed remorse on multiple occasions and I have no reason to question his sincerity, but "you can't unring a bell." The comments made by other artists (who know these two individuals better than I do) since the event leads me to conclude that we have observed an example of a quote from a pastor friend...
Integrity is forged in obscurity and refined in visibility
The gracious way Miss Swift responded to this unexpected event was an overflow of character that had been developed in her life when she was far from the public eye.
The same principle was true of Isreal's greatest king. While David was a lowly shepherd and was out of the public eye he developed the character that would be required to be described as a man after God's own heart. Psalm 78:70-72 says that from shepherding David learned integrity and skill that led God to choose him as king.
As teachers and small group leaders it is important that we prepare well for the lessons that we guide. It is just as important that we tend to our hearts. When unexpected events happen the condition of your heart will determine your response and once a reaction has been given it is difficult to undo it.

Comment below: What practices do you find strengthen your character? What have you done to counter-act when the old nature has made an appearance in your behaviors while leading others?

1 comment:

  1. I deal with people every day in their homes. It can be a true test of character dealing with people. Some are easy. Some will never be satisfied. Some will even make their problems you fault. What I do every day is start with devotions and scripture. I pray God’s word speaks to me and gives me light for my path and correction for the day. The devil is sly and he tempts and tests at every turn. God’s Word gives me the direction I need and the spirit or disposition to gain the trust of those who have asked me into their home. Each day brings new challenges and differing perspectives. If I am committed to asking God for His word to guide me each day, I have found the Bible to an unfailing source for my day and a reservoir of truth and direction for each new test. If I keep this rhythm it works every time. If I break the rhythm, I find I can be weak in my flesh.

    Put The Lord above everything else and the rest takes care of itself.

    ReplyDelete