Monday, September 28, 2009

Do you have a succession plan?

Let me start by eliminating any potential rumors. I am not planning on leaving my current place of ministry any time soon, nor am I in the plan to succeed anybody else in their position of ministry! Now that the “Rumor Weed” had been dealt a healthy dose of Round-up, let’s get to this week’s blog post.

This morning I have read two other blogs focusing on the replacement of Senior leaders. In one blog the implication was that if you don’t have a plan in place to develop new leaders, you may be relying too heavily upon personality. In another blog the introductory paragraph mentions several large ministries where the founders’ sons have taken over for the father. (In my humble opinion, some of these sons have been groomed/prepared for leadership while others are living out a dynasty based upon name recognition.)

This is not just an issue for Pastors and church Boards!! What about your Small Group? What about the area where you volunteer in your local church? Do you have a plan to replace yourself? Can ministry continue (thrive?) in your absence?

When our children were little my wife was hospitalized on a few occasions, which left me for several days in the role of a single parent. The kids actually wore clean clothes each day and nobody lost weight during the ordeal. (I realize doing this for a week is not the same as those who carry this burden for years!) The point is that some homes are run in such a way that one spouse has no idea how to do laundry or where to find things in the pantry or where to find tools in the garage because the other spouse is too possessive of those areas. A wise person will develop others in the family with skills to cope in their absence.

In the same way, a wise ministry leader will develop others with the skills to do ministry in their absence. I would like some volunteer ministry leaders to weigh in on this…What are you doing to identify and develop leaders to replace yourself?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I see this as very necessary to the health of any ministry. Jesus mentored 12 - 11 of which went on to impact the world.
    For me, and I am by no means any authority on the matter, I ask God for wisdom and to lay someone on my heart to work with.
    In addition to that, I look for giftedness and passion in the person I feel God is leading me to ask or if He hasn't seemed to put the name or face of anybody upon my heart. Even in an undeveloped state - it can be recognized within someone.
    Also, once this person is identified it is good to realize that you are not solely responsible for their development and to encourage them to keep growing under the teaching of others and to take advantage of other growth opportuities for them.
    Sometimes it isn't just the gift itself that needs to be developed within someone in order for them to take your place - it is other personality/spiritual maturity issues as well that the Lord can call us alongside to help them with as well.
    Also, letting them actually "do" the work while you are still there - even if they don't do it exactly the way you think it should be done all the time - is good as well.

    ReplyDelete