Monday, September 14, 2009

Lessons from 2009 NFL Week 1

Many of those who follow this blog are leaders within local churches. As the NFL season started yesterday and the commentators disected every part of the game I found myself contemplating leadership lessons for the local church.

1. Be flexible to changing roles - From the Minnesota vs. Cleveland game I learned that leaders must adapt. Brett Favre used to be valued as a gun-slinger who was viewed as a "go to guy" who could make things happen. Now the commentators conclude that he is surrounded by new talent and he will succeed this year only if he adapts and becomes a "cool, consistent player who distributes the ball to the rest of the offensive team" (namely, Percy Harvin & Adrian Peterson). Wise Small Group leaders and Sunday School teachers will NEVER stop learning and adjusting.

2. Never quit too soon - From the Denver vs. Cincinnati game I learned that leaders don't give up until it is all over. Brandon Stokley's amazing catch game-winning touchdown teaches us that it is never wise to give up hope. I shudder to think how many blessings have been missed because leaders became discouraged and gave up just before God did something amazing in the lives of students.

3. Don't view yourself too highly - From the Chicago vs. Green Bay game I learned that leaders who attempt things beyond their ability bring disaster. Jay Cutler tried to force plays and threw 4 interceptions. Too often Christian leaders get ahead of what the Holy Spirit is doing in the lives of those we have been called to shepherd. God has placed you within a community to serve and grow as a community--not to be a superstar! Christ is the head of the church--not you.

4. You are not alone - From the New York Jets vs. Houston game I learned that leaders who honor others look good. I saw a little interview with rookie Mark Sanchez after his first NFL win. He was eager to give the glory to the hard work of the team and deflect it from himself. The more he genuinely bragged on others, the more I wanted to know about him. Leaders who are secure enough to lift up others find that they turn out all right. Players who are insecure and try to keep the spotlight on themselves look like jerks. The same is true in your class or small group--the more attention you give to your students/participants, the more they will want to be around you! When you try to impress, they can see right through it!

Remain flexible, Don't give up, don't try too hard, and honor others. What other positive things can you learn from the leadership of others? (Please do NOT attack the character or question the motives of these people)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:13 AM

    How does one know the balance here? Yes, we in the role of leader are not supposed to be superstars or to think more highly of ourselves or in regard to our relationship with God. But by the same token - aren't we supposed to keep going forward with God regardless of the response of the community we are surrounded by? Weren't many OT prophets surrounded by communities that were completely out of step with God? Weren't NT saints as well at times? How does one know when to "push" and when to sit back and just wait on people to "get it"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be my suggestion to you to make sure you are committed to God first and your ministry second. I led a Youth ministry for 13 years. At times I was filled with joy. Other times I felt I was beating a dead horse, but in all things I prayed to my Lord saying I am committed to YOU Oh God as well as these young people: Being slow to speak and quick to listen. 2 Chronicles 16:9 says “ For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.” When I felt defeated or if I wasn’t hearing God clearly, I always looked to Him in prayer and said “Lord I am fully committed to YOU and this ministry” and I got answers. Not always right away, but I got them. Strength and direction and discernment come to those fully committed to Christ and His Will in all things.

    True commitment will sail with the wind and go down with the ship.

    ReplyDelete