Monday, October 09, 2006

Big Mistakes and Big Rewards

I read the following story about an executive at Google a couple of weeks ago and can't get the story out of my mind.

I am NOT a risk-taker by nature, but wonder if there might be bigger rewards for those I am discipling if I provide a save environment to take risks.

In my parenting I try to protect my kids from this kind of failure. Am I limiting their chance for success?? (by making this statement I know I am setting up somebody to talk about the sovereignty of God)

What the Church Can Learn From Google
I was just reading my new copy of Business 2.0 magazine; and found an interesting article on Google. There was the story of Sheryl Sandberg, one of the Vice Presidents at Google.com who committed an error that cost Google several million dollars...

"Bad decision, moved too quickly, no controls in place, wasted some money,” is all she’ll say about it—and when she realized the magnitude of her mistake, she walked across the street to inform Larry Page, Google’s co-founder and unofficial thought leader. “I feel feally bad about this,” Sandberg told Page, who accepted her apology. But as she turned to leave, Page said something that surprised her. “I’m so glad you made this mistake,” he said. “Because I want to run a company where we are moving too quickly and doing too much, not being too cautious and doing too little. If we don’t have any of these mistakes, we’re just not taking enough risk.”

Hmmm… how does this apply to the church?

If you’re not making mistakes, you just might not be risking enough!


The original story can be found at this link.
What the Church Can Learn from Google

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:20 PM

    I have a good friend that always reminds me that people who do nothing never make make mistakes. It's true. Every time we find somehing that doesn't work we come a little closer to seeing what might.

    ReplyDelete