Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Fasting: It's not always about food

 I found this quote from Greg Atkinson and thought it might prompt some self evaluation.

Recently my family and I went to our church’s “Family Camp”, which took place in the middle of No-where, Arkansas. Not only did they have a rule about not bringing laptops with you, but I couldn’t even get a cell phone signal, so trying to find an Internet connection would have been a joke. Though I was not crazy about the idea, I went totally “unplugged” for the entire week of Family Camp. I mean: no cell phone, no iPod, no laptop, no TV – nothing! The first day and a half I was having withdrawal symptoms and really wanted to check my email. But eventually I accepted the reality of the situation and decided to make the most of it. Now don’t misunderstand me, I’m glad to be back in civilization and checking email, etc., but that week of being “unplugged” was amazing. I had some amazing quiet times with God and could actually HEAR from Him for the first time in a long time.

It’s funny, once the noise, the distractions of my TV, iPod, laptop and cell phone were missing I found myself more sensitive to the Spirit and felt more connected to God. I don’t know if that’s a law of nature or what, but the more disconnected I am from the world, the more connected I am to God. I had ideas flowing left and right. I kept a notebook/journal with me and ideas and thoughts were just constantly coming to me. It was as if I had tapped into this spring of creativity and vision and I was drinking away.

Source: MMI Weblog

No comments:

Post a Comment